Tuesday, February 28, 2023

How to write a query letter



 Writing a query letter is always something I have struggled with. I find it so hard to put my books into words that will attract agents, but I think I finally have it down-packed, and I want to share it with you today. 

The elements of a query letter is something I always never understood until I did my research. 

You should Identify where your book would fit into the publishing industry. Mention the genre, sub-category, word count, title, and subtitle. Providing this information allows the agent/editor to quickly grasp what the manuscript is about, especially where the title fits in the big picture.

You can also include examples of best-selling or award-winning published books in that genre or category, but make sure not to sound overly pushy.

Next, include a hook, which is the meat of the query. Approximately 100 to 250 words will be sufficient and then a short synopsis of your book. Then add a brief author's bio. You also want to include any other books you have published and how you published them and close off with a greatful statement 

I like to use this template to help me structure my query letters and remember to always proof read and edit your letter you want to sound as professional as possible. 




No comments:

Post a Comment